Friday, September 03, 2021

Find Interesting Subjects to Photo


No, no, no, no, no!

Don't find interesting things to take photos of, make things interesting! 

(Paraphrase from Joel Sartore, one of my favorite photography instructors from his great videos -  see below.)

One of the major lessons I learned about photography subjects:

Don't take pictures from eye-level. Everyone sees from eye-level, look for something different. Get up high, get down low, walk all the way around your subject (providing it's free-standing) and see what's there! Get a different perspective. You will find something interesting.

Here are three of my interesting finds following Joel's advice:

I took these with my Nikon D3200 camera and 18-55mm kit lens, no special lenses or filters!  I moved into my picture instead of expecting my picture to come to me.

To see a larger image, click the photo. These photos are for sale on Dreamstime (without the watermarks of course).


Christmas gifts through a crystal globe

Christmas gifts through a crystal globe.
Raindrops in a garden web

Raindrops in a garden spider web.
Funny boy

Funny boy!














You can make things interesting!

Here are the lessons I watched featuring Joel Sartore. In fact, I was watching the Fundamentals II last night and love the way he takes you out on location, shows you how to work around any challenging conditions like harsh lighting. Give them a try if you are so inclined!







No comments: