Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Macro moss sequence

This was my first foray into macro photography. 

I was on a beach with my grandson who happily poured sand from one toy to another when I happened to see this beautiful little patch of moss. At that time, I didn't have a macro lens, but I did have a set of screw-on magnifiers for my 52mm lens. I also was pretty new at this whole photography thing - this was March of 2014 so my Nikon was less than a year old and I was still taking pictures in one of the Auto Modes - this one happened to be Close Up - but that isn't quite good enough to get a real macro shot. 

The tool I used to get the photos here is a 10X magnifier that screws on to the lens, it came in a set of four put out by Polaroid. You can still get sets like this, just make sure you get the correct size for your lens. The reason and need for a tool like this is that without it, you can't get close enough to your subject to get this macro detail. Each lens has its own standard, and in order to focus, you need to be a minimum distance from your subject.....unless you have a nifty 10X or other magnifier. 

The camera used here is a Nikon D3200 with the kit lens Nikkor 18-55mm AF-S (auto focus motor in the lens), DX (crop sensor). Note that AF-S also means Auto Focus - Single mode and refers to single focus on one point as opposed to continuous or auto focus modes. BUT, when talking about the Nikkor Lens, it means focus motor in the lens. 


This was first, standing above the little patch of moss on the ground. The area of zoom is the top area of the patch of moss in the lower left area of the frame. 

I'm skipping a frame or two between, but you get the idea.....
Settings here are
f/8
1/125 sec
ISO 140
55mm (on my crop-sensor Nikon, this means it functions as an 82mm on a full-frame camera)

Getting a bit closer now,
f/8
1/125 sec
ISO 180 (automatically adjusted)
55mm

And closer still, 
f/8
1/125 sec
ISO 220
55mm








Final image - 
f/8
1/125 sec
ISO 280
55mm

This image can be purchased from my Pictorem Portfolio - select size and material (canvas or paper). Free shipping in Continental US and Canada. 




No comments: